Tips on picking a Dedicated Server

Author
Site Admin
IRCBot Version I Use: v5
IRCBot Platform: Linux/Ubuntu

Tips on picking a Dedicated Server

Post by Indy »

When picking a dedicated server, here are some things you should think about:
  • 1. RAM: These days your server should be minimum of 2GB (2048MB), and that is just if you plan on running the bot, a few websites/servers, etc. If you plan on putting a ton of stuff on the server more RAM is always better.
    2. Check hard disk partition layouts if you can. A lot of dedicated servers come with partitions that are set up for mass website hosting, but suck for any kind of general server use. I recommend layouts with a 266-512MB /boot partition, swap partition equal to your RAM up to a maxium of 4GB (whichever is smaller), and the rest as /. Use ext3 for /boot and ext4 for /.
    3. CPU: Minimum 2GHz for 4+ core processors, 3GHz for 2 core CPUs. Don't bother with single-core CPUs. A 2GHz 4-core processor is in general better than a 3GHz 2-core for servers.
    4. If your server has the bandwidth you can run your own SHOUTcast or Icecast server on your server, you don't have to use a 3rd party hosting service for them.
    5. SHOUTcast servers are dead simple to set up, don't waste your money on a control panel like Centovacast unless you don't have IRCBot Full and need an AutoDJ.
    6. Don't get the cheapest dedicated server you can find, as with everything you get what you pay for. A super cheap server is likely to be unstable and/or slow.
    7. Have a tech guy who knows Linux systems, security, and firewalls. Systems at popular hosting companies are under automated attacks constantly.
Companies I've done business with over the years who I can recommend for dedicated servers: 1and1, OVH, and Codero.
Codero warning: They like to put specials on their website and when you call they will tell you they are "out of those servers" and try to upsell you something more expensive. Their hosting is reliable once you've got it though.
You can also contact me via email or instant messenger, links are at the bottom of this post.