Dated log files for ALL items.

Author
IRCBot Version I Use: v5
IRCBot Platform: Windows

Dated log files for ALL items.

Post by speeddemon8803 »

As the title implies I would like to see a date added to more log files than just the mIRC logs, this would increase the size of space necessary, but you could purge them like the backups. I.e. Have an ircbot.9.21.2011.log or something to that effect.

speeddemon8803

Re: Dated log files for ALL items.

Post by speeddemon8803 »

Or, the ABILITY of such, not really wanting it as default.

speeddemon8803

Post by speeddemon8803 »

The method to my madness is a lot of the log files just get overwritten, if errors happen and you restart the bot the old error log goes kaput, you've got nothing to go by.

Indy
Site Admin
IRCBot Platform: Linux/Ubuntu

Post by Indy »

The old log would be in your backups folder still, it's backed up just like the conf/db/etc.
You can also contact me via email or instant messenger, links are at the bottom of this post.

speeddemon8803

Post by speeddemon8803 »

Well then, with that said...could you take the datestamp out of the irc channel logs and create backups of them in the backups folder? (if this isn't done already.) I am aware the backups folder would take yet another boulder but it would surely make that folder cleaner (in my opinion).

Indy
Site Admin

Post by Indy »

The Logging plugin's logs? They never get deleted because most people who keep logs do it for stats programs (mircstats, pisg, etc.) that needs logs going all the way back.
You can also contact me via email or instant messenger, links are at the bottom of this post.

speeddemon8803

Post by speeddemon8803 »

I have used mircstats, and as a suggestion it's easier for that stat system if the file just be continuous, no need to chop it day by day. I see now your reasoning (mostly) but to be honest you've actually INCREASED the work of the stats programs. As a suggestion, you should either let it have a continuous log, or a split one (an option I mean in config.) (I smell a long overdue feature request.)

Indy
Site Admin

Post by Indy »

Many stats programs (pisg for sure, not sure about mircstats as I haven't used it in many years) cache the data from split/dated files, so they have to do less work if the old files haven't been changed.

Edit: of course some of them also keep a pointer to the last processed line of logs as well, just having them split is more compatible with more programs.

speeddemon8803

Post by speeddemon8803 »

So...realistically, it wouldn't hurt either way the format was made....more files to load to pisg thus more backup files.(your way) or 1 file that is auto backed up to backups and overwritten as necessary (my way). Making sense that this is starting to look weird yet? Notepad and all other text editors have a find feature so realistically if you're looking for a certain date, you can. If you're wondering, yes I am trying to find some sort of happy medium between two people that are firm in their decisions.

Indy
Site Admin

Post by Indy »

I just try to keep things most compatible with most programs, I should be able to add an option to make it just append to one long file (per channel) easy enough.