SMS <-> IRC & IRCBot

Author

SMS <-> IRC & IRCBot

Post by MattEnloe »

I think every DJ would love to allow their users to work the bot via their mobile phone, and so far here's what I've found...

Most providers allow you to send emails via text and receive text-emails by sending an email to [email protected]. I've also seen that it appears to be possible to make IRC send emails with some certain scripts... see http://www.hawkee.com/snippet/3458/

I'm not entirely sure if this is feasible or not but it seems like it is and I'd LOVE to see it.

Indy
Site Admin
IRCBot Version I Use: v5
IRCBot Platform: Linux/Ubuntu

Re: SMS <-> IRC & IRCBot

Post by Indy »

Getting the bot to send emails definitely wouldn't be a problem, but how would it receive text messages?
You can also contact me via email or instant messenger, links are at the bottom of this post.

Indy
Site Admin

Post by Indy »

One option might be to use Google Voice. It can forward text messages to a POP-enabled email account that the bot can check for messages, then the bot can send reply SMS messages via Google Voice.

It would be a bit slow to respond since it could only check the email account once every 30 seconds or a minute or so, but that might be an OK trade off for a free SMS service.

This would also be good for privacy and having multiple DJs use the same #, since you can just set up an account just for the bot and nobody has to give out their real phone #.
You can also contact me via email or instant messenger, links are at the bottom of this post.

MattEnloe

Post by MattEnloe »

If you can do it, go for it. I'll look for faster alternatives as well.

The text messages can be sent to an email if you can read emails... but Idk if the bot is capable of that. I know my phone can receive emails to its [email protected], and send outgoing ones to real emails from [email protected].

Indy
Site Admin

Post by Indy »

Ok, it seems to be working now. The win32 build is up now with the new SMS plugin, config info, etc., can be found here: http://wiki.shoutirc.com/index.php/Plugin:SMS

If you use Linux, let me know which distro & bits (32/64) you use and I'll bump that one up to the top of the compile list.

Indy
Site Admin

Post by Indy »

Is it working for you?

MattEnloe

Post by MattEnloe »

Sorry, I don't check the email I used for this site often. Let me test.

MattEnloe

Post by MattEnloe »

The program can't start because libspopc.dll is missing from your computer.

I reinstalled, no dice.

Indy
Site Admin

Post by Indy »

Ah, sorry, forgot to add it to the new installer. I attached it to this post in a zip file. If you put the DLL in your IRCBot folder it should fix that.
Attachments
libspopc.zip
(8.26 KiB) Downloaded 992 times

MattEnloe

Post by MattEnloe »

Okay, it seems to be receiving messages now. What is it supposed to do with them?