Ping

Author
IRCBot Version I Use: v5
IRCBot Platform: Windows

Ping

Post by speeddemon8803 »

Make it so that when you ping the bot with !ping it could show you an actual lag time instead of just a message with a response. Possibly a %lag variable coded into the bot.

Indy
Site Admin
IRCBot Platform: Linux/Ubuntu

Re: Ping

Post by Indy »

The IRC protocol doesn't timestamp messages that way, so it can't tell how much lag there is between you and it. It could report the last known round-trip time between it and the IRC server though.

Most clients support CTCP (as does the bot), so you can also get a round-trip time by typing /ctcp botnick ping
You can also contact me via email or instant messenger, links are at the bottom of this post.

speeddemon8803

Post by speeddemon8803 »

I mean I know it can show the ping time it takes to get to a bot in the ctcp...but can you make that a public command as well? I have seen it in regular mIRC scripts so I know the IRC protocol itself supports it. I.e. !ping Alan would show the lag time of myself in open room instead of CTCP. (I know you don't want to bloat the bot, but respectfully you do have a few commands that are somewhat redundant.)

Indy
Site Admin
IRCBot Platform: Linux/Ubuntu

Post by Indy »

A script that does that would just be a wrapper around CTCP. (ie. someone would type !ping Alan, the client sends a CTCP PING to Alan, when it gets a reply displays it to the requestor)

But yes, that should be able to be added.
You can also contact me via email or instant messenger, links are at the bottom of this post.

speeddemon8803

Post by speeddemon8803 »

Wrapper and an optional variable possibly? Not in ircbot.text by default but able to be added if the user wants.