AutoDJ over FTP/HTTP

Author

AutoDJ over FTP/HTTP

Post by djmojo »

Interestingly enough, I've come to a point where I've found that many times, I have music for my AutoDJ distributed over two or three sets of FTP servers, belonging to various friends of mine with their own licenses to their music that they'd like to share with us and our AutoDJ. I could drag them all over to my server, but that could end up being quite a hassle, and keeping it well updated from the repos of our other DJ's collections could be a daunting task.

While I've tried using FTP under FUSE (in Linux) to basically create a FTP mountpoint in the filesystem, it's still very young and tends to crash quite a bit.

There a chance we could get FTP/HTTP as a usable method for Content and Promos?

Indy
Site Admin
IRCBot Version I Use: v5
IRCBot Platform: Linux/Ubuntu

AutoDJ over FTP/HTTP

Post by Indy »

To make that work I would basically have to rewrite FTP/FUSE for just AutoDJ.

Your best bet for that is to use rsync or an FTP/HTTP mirroring program, that will automatically sync up the multiple collections.
You can also contact me via email or instant messenger, links are at the bottom of this post.

djmojo

AutoDJ over FTP/HTTP

Post by djmojo »

Actually, I was thinking of something more along the lines of using libcurl to do the job?

The one problem I do see in this idea is pre-caching the next song, if the next song is on a FTP/HTTP, however. FTP really isn't meant to be a 'streaming' protocol, after all.

Indy
Site Admin
IRCBot Version I Use: v5
IRCBot Platform: Linux/Ubuntu

AutoDJ over FTP/HTTP

Post by Indy »

Yeah, libcurl is how modern versions of FTPFS/FUSE work. It says on their page a lot of the problems people have are with bad versions of libcurl. You might want to update yours or compile the latest release manually and try ftpfs again.

http://curlftpfs.sourceforge.net/
You can also contact me via email or instant messenger, links are at the bottom of this post.