Check Content directory for new files while running

Author
IRCBot Version I Use: v5
IRCBot Platform: FreeBSD

Check Content directory for new files while running

Post by JAMITIN »

Having a way to check just new files (periodically or by command), as opposed to reloading the entire directory would be useful if somebody wants to include a file uploader on their site for users to upload (straight to the content directory).

autodj-reload causes the stream to disconnect, so perhaps just having that run independently somehow would be sufficient.

Indy
Site Admin
IRCBot Platform: Linux/Ubuntu

Re: Check Content directory for new files while running

Post by Indy »

To find new files it has to rescan the whole directory (just like any program). There isn't currently a timed option to rescan files but you can use !autodj-reload to do it manually any time; I should be able to add a timed option as well. Until then, one trick you can do is create an entry in your scheduler.conf to request a file that doesn't exist; that would rescan for files however often you made the request fire off.

The stream can disconnect during a rescan if the current song stops playing while the scan is in progress, but it doesn't force the stream to disconnect as a rule.
You can also contact me via email or instant messenger, links are at the bottom of this post.

JAMITIN

Post by JAMITIN »

Ah, good to know about the scheduler trick. I just tried running !autodj-reload a few times, I didn't realize it was a coincidence that it was disconnecting before. D'oh. I'm running a few thousand files on a with Content pointing to a 20mbit nfs share, so yeah. The reload in ircbot5 is fast nonetheless. :D

Indy
Site Admin

Post by Indy »

How long does it usually take to reload over NFS? I've always wondered how slow it would be scanning a remote filesystem.
You can also contact me via email or instant messenger, links are at the bottom of this post.

JAMITIN

Post by JAMITIN »

It depends, on ircbot5, on a first load, it's 5 minutes every 1k files. Then I can do !autodj-reload and it'll be less than a minute total. Over the summer, it was more like 45 minutes every startup (for 40k files) on ircbot4 thanks to mysql queue. I'll be able to post a more coherent benchmark in a couple days after I organize/transfer some files.

Indy
Site Admin

Post by Indy »

As part of the file scan it calls stat() on each file to get it's last modified time and file size to determine if the bot should re-read it's ID3 tags, I imagine that would take a lot of time with thousands of files over a network link. I could probably make an option to read tags for new files only and that *should* make it go a lot faster, at the cost of if you update any of your ID3 tags or files the metadata won't be updated in the bot unless you do a full re-scan.

JAMITIN

Post by JAMITIN »

Ah, that sounds great.

JAMITIN

Post by JAMITIN »

Alright, here are the benchmarks.

With queue_mysql and nfs, after wiping ircbot.db and the IRCBot mysql table, file checking for 31827 files (with metadata) takes 3 hours 16 minutes. It's about the same as if it checked locally with queue_mysql, while it's faster (locally and nfs) with queue_memory. Restarting IRCBot with 3k files added took 32 minutes, autodj-reload right after that took 28 minutes.
[15:14:32] <JAM> autodj-reload
[15:14:32] <Touhou_Radio> Reloading schedule...
[15:14:32] <Touhou_Radio> Beginning re-queue...
[15:42:19] <Touhou_Radio> Re-queue complete! (Songs: 38543)

Indy
Site Admin

Post by Indy »

A new build is up now with the new OnlyScanNewFiles option.

It goes in AutoDJ/Options:
OnlyScanNewFiles 1

That will remove the extra stat() call and maybe make it faster a bit? (I tested on a local hard drive with 5,000 files and the re-scans finished in 8 seconds with or without the setting, so I'm not sure how much help it will be.)

JAMITIN

Post by JAMITIN »

Awesome, thanks.